October 4, 2008

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and I think that the one aspect of this religion that to me makes the most sense and brings the most peace is the concept of eternal families.
This morning I had the opportunity to attend the graveside service for a beautiful teeny tiny little baby. This isn't the first baby funeral that I have attended and will probably not be the last. When I think of all the trials that there are in this world , this is the one that is the hardest for me as a mother to get past. I can't even begin to feel the pain that these young parents must go through as they instead of bringing home their bundle of life and joy they place it in a little box never to see it again in this world.
A few days ago my cousin Allen Plumb called me to say that he has 2 children living here in Cedar and that Michael and his wife Amy had just lost a baby due to placenta abruptia. It was pretty bad for the mom too and they almost lost her. I don't know how many of you remember or know Mike but he is Allen and Judy Plumb's son who as a young teenager was diagnosed with cancer and went through chemotherapy. This was to be their first baby and they were thrilled to know that after his medicine they could still have a baby. They are devastated.
I sat next to Alene and Phil at the mortuary and we were remembering that Allen and Judy's first baby was stillborn. The baby had stopped moving the day before the delivery but the Dr. had assured them that everything was all right. I talked to Allen about this and he was amazingly solid and upbeat. This experience which brought back many memories for both of them was not bitter or harsh. He talked about the peace that he felt and how much he looks forward to getting to know his son in the next life. He looks at this trial as a blessing only. It strengthened their marriage, their conviction, their dedication, and their spirituality. It was hard but that the knowledge that death in this life cannot separate us from those that we love.
I took a plant from the whole Palmer family and was surprised that it was the only plant there.
At all of these baby funerals this song was sang;

Be still my soul: the Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change he faithful will remain.
Be still my soul: Thy best, thy heavenly friend
through thorny ways lead to a joyful end.

Be still my soul: Thy God doth undertake
to guide thy future as he does the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still my soul: The hour is hast'ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

Many people commented and remembered that this was the song that Brian sang at his infant Martyn's funeral. I have cried every time that I have heard this hymn since then.
I am grateful to be a member of this church; to have this promise and opportunity. I love my family and I have faith that we will all be together in the next life if we so choose. My thoughts and prayers are with the Plumb family.
We love you.

1 comment:

Shepherd Family ACALPM said...

A very good friend of mine here had the pretty much same thing happen to her, they almost lost her too. She is about 3 years out from it now and she can talk about it with so much peace, she said that the power of the spirit literally carried her family through the hard time and that she could physically feel the prayers... So I will be praying for them... I love being a part of this church also, knowing God more than I ever would have and being able to serve others and help each other along our journeys is such a huge and amazing thing to me... Jenn, it is so neat to hear these things from you, since I don't feel like we get to talk too often. I am glad to hear your testimony and I am grateful to have you as a sister! I hope the family is doing well, I almost started crying at the song you have on this blog when I realized what the words were saying... I don't know how you guys do it! You are so strong! May God bless your family!