A typciall street in Hung Hom with stores lining both sides of the street all the way down. This was earlier in the morning before the crowds were out. Normally it is packed with people one after another. 7-8 million people packed into a very small area.
September 1, 2008
Finally a few pictures from Hong Kong
I finally feel awake enough to do find some pictures and post them. We (a large group of foreign exchange students) went to the harbor and took a ferry from Kowloon over to Hong Kong Island (Wan Chai) to look at all the skyscrapers in the financial district but I forgot my camera. We will be going back on a city tour on Thursday and I will make sure I have my camera then. It is really impressive at night with all the lights and the huge buildings. It feels alot like New York city but more modern. I wish I would have had my camera for that because it is an awesome site to see. Good thing I'm here for 4 months. The rest of the pictures are of the Hung Hom area of Kowloon. Each island or major area is made up of several neighborhoods (parishes/buroughs/whatever you want to call them) like most large cities and the Hong Kong Polytechnic University that I am attending or "PolyU" as everyone here calls it is in the Hung Hom area of Kowloon. These pictures are from the area to the north of campus. I hiked all over this area the other day exploring. I was the only caucasian around and I think I scared a lot of the old chinese ladies, unintentionally. Even though I'm only 5'9" I probably looked like a giant to them. A few of them were calling me a white devil and telling me to go away. Poor things, I didn't mean to scare them.
Me of course, Zhong (guest professor of architectual design from Nanjing University in mainland China), Francisco (Graduate student from Mexico City researching Chinese design/architecture/construction), Wong (guest professor from Nanjing University). We were hungry Saturday night so we went to get some food down the street from our dorms. Hong Kong is a busy city that doesn't go to sleep. This area is open 24/7. I had roast chicken, they brought the whole thing out which had the head, feet, everything still attached, and hacked it apart with a meat cleaver right infront of me (typical chinese way of doing it). You have to be careful not to choke to death on the bones that are left over in your chunks of chicken meat. I had to leave dinner early so I could get to bed and get up at 4:00 a.m. for the BYU vs. UNI pregame show on KSL.
This is only a small part of the cell phone store area that we went to. The people here love their cell phones. Hong Kong is known as the most connected city in the world. I think eveyone including little children have at least 2-3 cell phones. This cell phone area is made up of probably 50 cell phone stores that cover 3 full levels of this shopping complex and it is just cell phone after cell phone display. I thought I was a sucker for electronics, I'm just a baby compared to these electronic freaks.

This is going up on top of the hill above Hung Hom. I was exploring trying to find the Kowloon chapel so I would know where it was for church on Sunday.
And another one. Hopefully this gives everyone a small taste of Hong Kong. This is just a small part and probably not places people usually see when they get online and look up Hong Kong. There is so much more to see and I will be getting plenty of the "Tourist" pictures and posting them as I play tourist and become familiar with the city.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Seriously it is so weird that you are all the way on the other side of the earth! Crazy! Thanks for sharing pictures, how was church?
Post a Comment